Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Book Review: MGS 2

Book review time! Read Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty (Raymond Benson, Del Ray, 2009) on the trip to Canada. I'm amazed it got printed. Either a) Mr. Benson isn't a terribly good writer or b) he was heavily constrained in his plotting - seeing as how he's apparently written other books, I'm guessing it's b). It definitely conveys the incredibly repetitive nature of the game and is about as good a novelization as it deserves. He left out a bit (I was hoping to see Snake's "Infinite ammo" line), and either altered or left out the references to it being a video game ("Turn off the simulator right now!", for example, and no "Fission Mailed" bit). I think the references could have been left in - given how Raiden's Codec contacts work, Fission Mailed could be explained as him seeing himself from Arsenal's security cameras, or something. My main problem is that it's written as a novelization of a game, rather than that of a movie. I'd love to see it entirely from Snake's POV too. Now I need to hunt down the MGS1 novelization, to see how he did Psycho Mantis.

No comments: